The fields are drying out rapidly and we are working hard to get them prepped before we lose too much moisture. We direct seeded greens, beets, carrots, and more yesterday, as well as transplanting broccoli and lettuce. Some of the crops will be ready rapidly and some take time. Still we are excited to be growing again and look forward to having more food for us all. We are hoping to get the wheat planted today, as well as fennel, scallions, pac hoy, and chicories.
This week's pick list:
- Green garlic
Green Garlic Soup, adapted from David Tanis
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 stalks green garlic , sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- 3scups greens, mixed, such as kale, chard, or spinach
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 whole lemon
- 1/8teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Add the green garlic shoots, thyme, and onions. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add greens and simmer until tender. Check seasoning and adjust with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.