There has been quite a breeze the past few days and the middle of the days have barely felt hot; so far it seems to have been a more mellow summer. The greenhouse is full again of winter plants to go in the ground. We have finished planting in one field and are now concentrating all the fall crops in one place. We hope to start prepping the winter field this week.
This week's pick list:
- Summer Squash
- Spring onions
- Parsley, Cilantro, Dill, and Basil
- Pick your own flowers and tomatillos
Cucumbers, Feta, and Mint, adapted from nytimes.com
- 2 pounds cucumbers, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces feta, cut into rough 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Pinch of oregano or marjoram
Halve cucumbers lengthwise and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, feta and sumac and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Transfer to a serving platter. Just before serving, sprinkle with mint, parsley and crushed red pepper, then dust with oregano.