The flowers are in full bloom now; you can't pick enough. With this week's heat wave, even more blossoms will appear. The garden is also full of birds, bees, and other pollinators, enjoying the flowers along with us. To help prolong their life, please pick armloads this week!
The young chicks are moving to the their new movable coop this week. They are ready for more space and fresh pasture each week. As the cows graze through each field, you can clearly see the grid pattern of where they have been compared to where they have not, almost like a checkerboard.
This week's pick list:
- Summer Squash
- Spring onions
- Parsley and Basil
- Pick your own flowers and tomatillos
Couscous with Peas, Leeks, and Herbs, adapted from food52.com
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups shelled English peas
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks, washed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup grated Haloumi cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Large handful each of chopped parsley, basil, and mint
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Bring the 1 1/4 cups water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil. While waiting for water to boil, pour couscous and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into medium sized bowl. With your hands, rub the couscous so the olive oil evenly coats the grains. Once water has come to a boil, pour over the couscous and let stand, covered with plastic wrap for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water to shock peas after cooking. Add peas to boiling water and boil for 1 minute. Remove peas from boiling water and immediately immerse into ice water. Strain. Add to couscous.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until translucent. Add to couscous.
- Add the haloumi cheese, pistachios, parsley, dill, basil, mint, lemon zest, and lemon juice to couscous mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve.