We enjoyed a break in the rain yesterday to walk to the pond and visit with the cows. As we wait for the fields to dry, we are working to plant garlic and strawberries, as well as harvesting roots.
We hope you can join us for our harvest festival this Saturday from 11 to 3!
This week's pick list:
- Pac Choy
- Sweet Peppers
- Winter squash
- Pick your own strawberries and flowers.
Celery Toast, from nytimes.com
- 2 slices bread, 1/2-inch thick
- Sweet butter
- 4 ounces blue cheese, sliced, divided evenly between two toasts
- 1 cup shaved celery, from the inner head, toughest outer stalks removed, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias all the way up from the white through the green
- 1 large clove garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Several grinds black pepper
- Toast the bread to golden. Butter generously, “wall to wall.” Lay cheese slices on top of buttered toast, neatly, evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together the celery and the scallions. Microplane the garlic into the celery mixture.
- Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, and stir very well, until completely dressed, almost wet with dressing.
- Mound the shaved celery salad evenly on top of the blue-cheese toasts, and grind black pepper over them very generously. Cut each in half or quarters.