The dry beans and corn are up. It is exciting to walk the rows and see the small plants growing. We planted everything much further apart this year, hoping that fewer plants would mean more water for those plants. As the plants grow using only the residual water in the soil, there needs to be enough water in the soil to support not only their growth but also their ability to fruit and make seed. If there is no water left when they are ready to make seed, they won't and we will not get a crop.
We cleaned up and replanted most of the herb garden today. It was interesting to see what survived the winter and what we lost. We are moving plants, making adjustments, and hoping that we can find a spot that suits each herb. The chives were covered with aphids so we removed the badly infested plants. Even though there were aphids on some of the others, we left them as they seemed to be growing well and we wanted to leave some aphids for the ladybugs and other beneficials that we feasting on them. We used all hand tools, a welcome break from the tractor, at least for me. I like being that close to the soil, smelling it, and feeling how it changes even in one small bed.
Spot is almost 8 weeks old and only has a bottle once a day now. I am surprised at how easily the routine of bottle feeding a lamb fit into our life and then slid out again. Spot does not seem to miss the milk but he does still believe he should be with us, rather than in the fence.
The flower field is filling up. We are trying a new design this year with clover pathways. The clover germinated well and the beds are starting to glow green. There are some tiny transplants in the other beds. The ladybugs are waking up in the soil en masse. When I was hoeing, I was struggling to avoid them. The bees have found the borage, thyme, and other plants that are blooming now. Soon enough, there will plenty of flowers for all!