The bulls are back in their pen, the calves are named, ear tagged, and castrated. Now we are slowly mixing the herds back together. We have kept the cows in the barn during this time to collect manure for compost and to easily join them into one herd. It will be nice to only move one herd again. It is easier to manage their grazing when they are in larger numbers, plus it is less fencing and water lines to move.
The greenhouse is full of young plants ready to go in the ground for this winter. We are hoping to put in as many as we can this week.
This week's pick list:
- Sunflower heads
- Winter squash
- Watermelon radish
- Lettuce Mix
- Basil. dill, cilantro
Watermelon Radish Tart, adapted from www.aupetitgout.com.
The pictures of the tart are beautiful!
- 4 Watermelon Radish Medium size ball (Raw)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- Fresh herbs of your choice (I used Lemon Thyme)
- For the crust
- 2 cup + 4 Tbsp flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter
- 6-8 tablespoons whole milk
- For the filling: Place the Watermelon radish to make a bed (image above). Mix the eggs and the cream together and pour into the pie crust. Do not overfill. Place on a cookie sheet (in case it overflows while cooking), bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes or until nice and golden.
- For the crust: Combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until there are pea-sized (or smaller) pieces of butter. Gradually pour the milk in, one tablespoon at a time while stirring the mixture. Grasp the dough (still in the bowl) and mix with your hands, gently. Place dough on heavily floured countertop, put flour over entire rolling pin surface and roll it out, gently until it’s about ¼ inch thick and large enough for your pie pan. Carefully, with a spatula to keep the dough from sticking to the counter, roll the dough around the rolling pin then roll it out over the greased pie plate.Cut off excess fold 1” under and flute the edges with your fingers. Perforate the bottom of the crust to prevent it from bubbling up while it’s cooking. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes to let the crust set and before placing the raw watermelon radish.