The tomatoes have finally started. Sometimes it feels as if summer is over before they begin. We cut the water to all the tomatoes to encourage them to ripen. There are so many green ones in the field. The peppers are just barely starting to change color. Soon they will be ready too. It would be lovely to have one more heat wave to ripen them quickly and to sweeten them.
This week's pick list:
- Zucchini and Summer Squash
- Sweet Onion
- Parsley, Dill, Cilantro and Basil
Roasted Tomatoes and Potatoes (adapted from Nature)
- 10 Tomatoes
- 10 Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- Olive Oil
- 5 Sprigs each of thyme and marjoram
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and parsley
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the potatoes and tomatoes into even size wedges. Thinly slice the onion. Toss all the vegetables and sprigs of herbs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread them out in one layer on a sheet tray or two if need be. Roast until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. When they are done, sprinkle the chopped basil and parsley over them and mix to combine.
Roasted Tomato Sauce with Salmon (Adapted from Saveur Magazine)
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 tbsp.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 16 cloves garlic, smashed (optional)
- 10 sprigs each of fresh thyme and oregano, plus 1⁄2 tbsp. each of fresh thyme, and fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 10-oz. salmon steaks
- 4 thin slices of lemon
- 2 tbsp. fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp. Pernod
1. Heat oven to 450°. Grease a baking sheet with 1/4 cup olive oil. Cut onions into 1⁄4"-thick rings; cut tomatoes into 1⁄2" slices. Spread the onions and the tomatoes out on the baking sheet to form a bed for the salmon steaks. Tuck garlic and sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano between vegetables and drizzle with another 1⁄4 cup of the oil. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the vegetables until soft and juicy, about 25 minutes.
2. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Arrange an oven rack 3" from the broiler element; turn oven to broil and heat. Arrange salmon on top of the roasted vegetables, drizzle with 2 tbsp. of the oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place 1 slice of lemon on each salmon steak and sprinkle chopped thyme and oregano over the fish. Broil the salmon until lightly browned and just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the salmon steaks with tarragon, Pernod, and remaining 2 tbsp. of oil.